The Witherspoon-Jackson Historical and Cultural Society is dedicated to the research, preservation, understanding, appreciation and celebration of the rich and proud history of African-Americans in Princeton, New Jersey.
What We Do
The purpose of WJHCS, established in 2016, shall be:
- To secure a safe facility for viewing and preserving historical writings, artifacts, documents, keepsakes, genealogical and biographical research and materials regarding the history of African-Americans in Princeton, New Jersey;
- To raise funds for administrative and programmatic maintenance of designated Witherspoon-Jackson Historical and Cultural Society initiatives;
- To partner with the diverse community organizations, businesses, and town officials to promote awareness, education and interest in Princeton’s American heritage in tandem with the present and future development of the town of Princeton.
For the history of the African-American community in Princeton, New Jersey, it is the Vision of Witherspoon-Jackson Historical and Cultural Society:
- To be sought out as the leading authority of its history, contributions, and experience;
- To be the driving force to assure its integrity and longevity;
- To be the curator and the resource for housing of historical records.
Gain a sense of fulfillment knowing you are helping a cause you believe in. Volunteering can help keep a resume current with experience while increasing professional development. Volunteers often develop a network of contacts that can be useful when searching for a future job.
Please send us a message or give us a call at (609) 688-9999 ext. 213 and leave your name, a contact number, and your area of volunteer interest.
Are you interested in researching and maintaining the history of African Americans in Princeton? Please give us a call at (609) 688-9999 ext. 213 and leave your name, a contact number, and your area of volunteer interest. Volunteers are needed in the following areas: event staff (annual/biannual), neighborhood tour guides, community outreach, and administrative assistance.
WJHCS would appreciate donations to support the continuation of our newsletter, neighborhood tours, historical research and community programs. We are a 501c3 organization with donations being tax-deductible. Any amount is acceptable and appreciated.