The Witherspoon-Jackson Historical and Cultural Society is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to the research, preservation, understanding, appreciation and celebration of the rich and proud history of African-Americans in Princeton, New Jersey.
What We Do
The purpose of WJHCS, established in 2016, shall be:
- To secure a safe facility for viewing and preserving historical writings, artifacts, documents, keepsakes, genealogical and biographical research and materials regarding the history of African-Americans in Princeton, New Jersey;
- To raise funds for administrative and programmatic maintenance of designated Witherspoon-Jackson Historical and Cultural Society initiatives;
- To partner with the diverse community organizations, businesses, and town officials to promote awareness, education and interest in Princeton’s African-American heritage in tandem with the present and future development of the town of Princeton.
For the history of the African-American community in Princeton, New Jersey, it is the Vision of Witherspoon-Jackson Historical and Cultural Society:
- To be sought out as the leading authority of its history, contributions, and experience;
- To be the driving force to assure its integrity and longevity;
- To be the curator and the resource for housing of historical records.
Gain a sense of fulfillment knowing you are helping a cause you believe in. Volunteering can help keep a resume current with experience while increasing professional development. Volunteers often develop a network of contacts that can be useful when searching for a future job.
Please send us a message or give us a call at (609) 688-9999 ext. 213 and leave your name, a contact number, and your area of volunteer interest.
Are you interested in researching and maintaining the history of African Americans in Princeton? Please give us a call at (609) 688-9999 ext. 213 and leave your name, a contact number, and your area of volunteer interest. Volunteers are needed in the following areas: event staff (annual/biannual), neighborhood tour guides, community outreach, and administrative assistance.
WJHCS would appreciate donations to support the continuation of our newsletter, neighborhood tours, historical research and community programs. We are a 501(c)(3) organization with donations being tax-deductible. Any amount is acceptable and appreciated.